Of every possible hairstyle there is, the ponytail is the…
Curling irons can be a girl’s best friend, but there are some tips and tricks you should know before adding that heat to your hair! Here are some tips to keep your hair healthy and looking great:
– Curling irons come in a variety of sizes, and the diameter of the iron itself changes the size of your curls. If you are looking for small tight ringlets, choose a curling iron with a smaller diameter, and if you want looser wavier curls, choose something with a diameter between 1” and 2”.
– If you have thin hair, or if your hair has been treated, make sure you use a temperature setting no higher than 200 degrees F. For thicker hair you should set your curling iron between 200 and 300 degrees for best results.
– For a messier wavy look, try choosing a curling iron with an oblong shape, rather than a round iron. This provides a more natural wave that isn’t artificially round.
– Avoid cheap chrome curling irons and spend a few more bucks to get a ceramic or tourmaline iron. This will help minimize frizz and keep your curls looking great. Don’t be fooled by those low price tags, your hair will thank you in the long run!
– If you already own a curling iron but sometimes you prefer a wand, most irons have a clip that is easily removable with a screwdriver. Take the clip off, you’ve got a wand! Replace it when you need the clip. Now you have a two-in-one!
– Did you know that the way you hold the iron changes your curls? If you like your curls looser, hold the curling iron vertically, and if you like tighter curls, hold it horizontal to your head.
– Never curl your hair when it is wet, or even damp. Take the time to properly dry your hair before taking heat to it. This helps minimize frizz, and keeps those curls looking beautiful!
– Don’t forget about washing your curling iron! If you use product in your hair, chances are there will be some buildup on the iron or wand. The best way to clean this off is by simply turning on the curling iron so it heats the product up, making it easier to remove. Then take a damp cloth and wipe it off!
– Before you use ANY type of heat on your hair, especially direct heat as from a curling or straightening iron, that you apply a protectant to your hair while it is damp. This will keep hair healthy and from drying out or breaking – you cannot undo this type of damage, so do not skip this vital step to not only keeping your hair looking great, but actually KEEPING your hair!